Mainframe OS aims to put individuals fully in control of their data, while providing a familiar user experience and allowing third-party applications to support additional use-cases.
Mainframe OS provides the following core features:
- Applications are user interfaces created by the Mainframe team or third-party developers to provide additional possibilities to Mainframe OS.
- Contacts are other known users of Mainframe OS that can be interacted with after reciprocal agreement (both Alice and Bob need to add each-other before either can interact with the other).
- Wallets are Ethereum wallets known (using Ledger) or managed (software wallets) by the platform. They are needed for payments and interactions with Ethereum smart contracts used by Mainframe OS or installed applications.
The following features are also in development and should be made available in a future release:
- Files are binary data stored in Swarm, that can be encrypted and fully private (never shared) or shared with selected contacts, or shared publicly and unencrypted.
- Messages are text and possibly additional data exchanged with contacts.
If you are a developer, you can learn more about using these features in the app development documentation.