Mainframe OS is available as a desktop application running on Linux, macOS and Windows.
To get started, download the latest available version for your platform.
For developers wanting to build and run from source, follow the platform setup instructions.
Follow the onscreen instructions to secure your local data (set a password), setup your identity and create a new software wallet (or import/connect an existing wallet).
Adding a contact
- Click the + button in the Contacts screen of Mainframe OS
- Paste the Mainframe ID of another Mainframe OS user. Your Mainframe ID can be found under your own entry in the Contacts screen.
There are two options for adding a contact:
- Mutual Invitation: Exchange Mainframe IDs out-of-band with other Mainframe OS users and each of you add each other's Mainframe ID. Once you have each added each other, it should no longer appear as "pending". This option is FREE.
- Blockchain Invitation: One user can add another user and using a blockchain transaction can send an invitation and notification to the other user. Once the second user sees and accepts the invitation, the contacts are no longer "pending". This option requires the invitor to stake a certain amount of MFT (plus applicable gas fees). Once the invitee accepts the invitation, the invitor can re-claim their stake. If the invitee alternatively rejects the invitation, they can keep the stake themselves. This system incentivizes responsible "cold-calling" and penalizes spamming.
Installing an app
There are two ways to access published apps in the Applications screen of Mainframe OS:
Click the + button and input the Mainframe App ID of the app you want to install. Review and approve the list of permissions requested by the app.
The Application ID is displayed to the developer in the App development tool after an app is published.
Installing a suggested app
- In the Applications screen, choose one of the icons in the SUGGESTIONS section, click the INSTALL button.
- Review and approve the list of permissions requested by the app.
- Once installed, the app will move from the SUGGESTIONS to the INSTALLED section.
Running an app
Once the app is installed, simply click the app icon to run the app.
A new window will open with the app contents.
Creating an app
You can learn more about creating and publishing Mainframe apps in the app development documentation.